Friday, July 24, 2009

Exclusive Danny Webb Interview


125brits.com nicked a few minutes with Danny Webb this morning to chat with him ahead of his home race about his season so far, his team, and his handlebar bashing with another 125Brit, Scott Redding....


How’s the season gone so far?
It’s been difficult. We’ve had quite a few problems with crashed and injuries. We’ve had some bad luck but things are coming better... Sachsenring was okay - so onwards and upwards.
So now we’re here at my home race and we want to just bring in some valuable points; not put to much pressure on ourselves, and see how it goes.

How are your injuries now?
Basically alright. Just aches and pains, my back and that kind of stuff; but I think it won’t be a problem when we get on the bike and it’ll be okay.

It’s your home GP - what do you expect, or what can you hope for?
Hopefully one of us can repeat what Scott did last year. Hopefully it can come good on the day and if we have a good set up then we can be on the podium, but it’s really about just getting there and if we haven’t got the setup then maybe it’s just a top ten position - and that’d be good for us. But I think if we do have a perfect setup then we can be on the podium.

What about the rest of the season?
It’s just a question of working with the team and working with the bike... this bike’s been really hard to work with. Okay, now we’ve got a decent base setting but at the beginning of the season we didn’t really know where we were with the bike. Now we seem to be getting somewhere, and through the season - round by round we seem to be getting better with the bike.

How are things with the team in this, your second season with them?
We get on like a big family; we have our ups and downs and that, but we’re close - I’m close with my mechanics and technicians and for me - every team I go into, within a month or two I know them and I get on with them and that’s good. And with this team I know them and it’s really good.

How about next year? Will you still be with this team?
At the moment nothing’s for sure. We’re talking to a few other teams, but I’d like to stay with this team because I get on with them so well, but if I have to go with another team then I have to go - it’s one of those things. But we’ll see...

How about friends? Do you get on with Scott and Bradley? Do you see them on race weekends or at other times?
Me and Scott get along really well. I don’t really talk to Bradley that much - but Scott’s been at my house the past couple of weeks and we’ve been having some fun and training and meeting up with girls and stuff. Scott’s a good guy. he’s got a lot of talent, but he needs some luck with his bike - things haven’t been going so well for him this year; it’s more the bike than him.
Hopefully me and Scott can grow up together, and be in the MotoGP paddock and still be together there and still be great friends.

How is it racing with him on track - racing a friend?
Normally, 5 times out of 10 me and Scott will find each other in the race. But that doesn’t matter - when we’re on track we just treat each other like everyone else and when we come off track we’re best of friends. Whatever happens on track stays on the track, and whatever happens in the paddock stays in the paddock.
We’re really close but it’s not like a thing where we give each other loads of room on the track; we’ll still bash handlebars.
It’s like when we have fun on scooters, and if we race on scooters we’ll still bash handlebars then and when we do it on track it’s more a fun kind of thing then - not aggressive, but a fun kind of thing.


Many thanks Danny - Very kind. Big best of luck to you for the home GP and the rest of the season :-)